MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

A Case Manager looked up an employees labs in order for facilitate

A Case Manager looked up an employee's labs in order for facilitate admission or transfer to a higher level of care. This is frequently done daily. Is this a true HIPPA violation if it is related to her job?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is the case manager in the HR division of the employee's employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No,
The alleged violation was reported to HR. But it was an RN looking at an employees labs.
ok, this would not be HIPAA violation if the RN had a legitimate reason for accessing the labs, and did so at the direction of a physician. If the RN did so merely out of curiosity or not per the direction of a physician, it would be a HIPAA violation. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.