MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

A Case Manager looked up an employees labs in order for facilitate

A Case Manager looked up an employee's labs in order for facilitate admission or transfer to a higher level of care. This is frequently done daily. Is this a true HIPPA violation if it is related to her job?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is the case manager in the HR division of the employee's employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The alleged violation was reported to HR. But it was an RN looking at an employees labs.
ok, this would not be HIPAA violation if the RN had a legitimate reason for accessing the labs, and did so at the direction of a physician. If the RN did so merely out of curiosity or not per the direction of a physician, it would be a HIPAA violation. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.