Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is

Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is disabled and another disability check for a child who is not disabled?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Could you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just found out that someone i know may be claiming disabiltiy for themselves but also for a child. The Adult is disabled but the child is not.

Thank you for the clarification.

Your Question: Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is disabled and another disability check for a child who is not disabled?

Response: Yes, it is legal. A child who is not disabled can get benefits simply because his/her parent is receiving Social Security Disability benefits:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10085.html#a0=0