How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 yrs trial attorney, professor of criminal law and ethics
Type Your Legal Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to complete a health information summary on myself for

Customer Question

I had to complete a health information summary on myself for renewal health coverage at my husbands work. I completed the form and mailed it to their HR person. They in turn shared the information with my husband. I am going through a divorce and my soon to be x has no business knowing my health concerns or the mental issues I am going through because of his abuse. I feel my hippa rights were violated and I need something in writing to take to court. Suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 5 years ago.
InformationForYou :

Unfortunately, HIPAA rights apply to medical professionals.

InformationForYou :

So if you filled out the information for a doctor and then your doctor disclosed it, then it would relate to a HIPAA violation.

InformationForYou :

If it is disclosed by a non-HIPAA covered person (such as an insurance company), then there is no HIPAA violation, I'm afraid.

InformationForYou :

I see you've viewed my answer. And I do believe I answered your original questions. Good luck and please abide by the good faith nature of this site.

InformationForYou :

As customers wish to receive answers to their questions, we wish to get credit for our work. Kindly click accept to provide me with appropriate credit.

Related Legal Questions