JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

If you are required to stand before a magistrate judge, what

Customer Question

If you are required to stand before a magistrate judge, what does this mean
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: what is the context in which that phrase is used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Our son is to appear on April 13 before a magistrait judge , a company he used to work for has filed charges on him of 350,000 of missing parts from a warehouse he was the supervisor over. He hired a lawyer, paid him 5000 dollars so far, we borrowed money from my husbands 401 and paid a 20,000 dollar bond for him. The bondsman is the one that sent us the letter about appearing before the judge.His bond was set at 250,00 dollars, to which the bondsman told us this was a ridoculus amount for the charge, but nonetheless the judge in arlington texas that set the bail would not reduce it, and so we paid it.
Thank you.

Stand before means appear in front of.

If your son stood before the magistrate judge that means that he appeared in front of the magistrate for a scheduled court hearing (for example being arraigned on the charges).

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.
If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will he go back to the judge that set the bail, our son's lawyer supposedly ask that judge to reduce the bail and the judge could not get to it for about 10 days, as to which the warrant may have been served and our son would have been arrested and would have to sit in jail for those 10 days. His lawyer advised that if he chose to pay the bail as it stood, he would need a bailbondsman, and so here we are, we are all in disbelief over this, but even the bondsman could not believe the amount of the bail, are we being led around because we don't know the law or is the common?
It can depend upon the court. In the larger courts, a magistrate only handles matters of bail and a different judge will handle the rest of the case.

Yes, it's possible for high bonds to be set and not to be reduced. There are judges who wield a tough gavel, no doubt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Although we were hoping for a better clarification on the matter, we will pay our 40 dollars, we don't ask for a free ride in life, just fairness. thank you for your time.
By all means, what additional information are you seeking? Please understand, the JustAnswer experts do not have the benefit of being able to review your son's court file. We can only work with the information you supply.