Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My niece has co-signed on a student loan (SallieMae) for her

My niece has co-signed on a student loan (SallieMae) for her brother who is now in default.
She is barely getting by and her brother has no money. Is there any way she can get out from under this loan?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. Unfortunately, she's getting stuck with the reason her brother need a co-signer in the first place. She has no recourse against the government and the government is not going to release her from the debt now that her brother is in default. Her only recourse is going to be against her brother. I wish I had better news, but not even bankruptcy gets liability for student loans discharged. I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.