MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I am a subcontractor on a commercial project, I have started

I am a subcontractor on a commercial project, I have started the job without a signed contract, They gave me a contract 3 months into the project, I was already doing work on the job under good faith that they were reputable people(bad idea I know) as the job progressed it was clear they were dishonest people, nor did I agree or sign the contract proposed, So I wrot them a letter stating I did not agree with the contract, It did not represent my proposal and I wished to recieve a new contract, But under good faith I continued to do work on the site while they fixed the contract, They have paid me slowly for work completed, But at this point I have not recieved a new contract, The company claims they are being sued for punative damages from the owner, They in my mind and according the schedule have brought that issue on themselves, At this point I want out,Not only are they a month behind, But they now are finally ready for my work to be completed and expect me to do whatever its takes to perform work ,Be it overtime, increased crew size etc., I just want out ,This project now has me behind schedule on other work that I will profit from,PLEASE ADVISE.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is your question whether you should continue to perform on the project without a signed contract?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At this point the question is do I have to finish the remainder of work, or can I just simply pack up my things and leave.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
You can pack up your things and leave, provided that you have already issued a written letter explaining of the need for a written contract and a demand for payment past due. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you recommend me seeking legal serivices before I pull out,And do you know of any legal issue that will result from me leaving.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
By legal services, do you mean retaining an attorney?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I been I business for 17 years and have never had issues like this, I dont want to do the wrong thing.

Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this time. You would not need to retain counsel unless and until the contractor sends you a demand letter threatening suit if you do not return the project.