LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

how do I relace a lost title

Customer Question

how do I relace a lost title
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

Was your vehicle financed, or was it already paid for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was fully paid for, but wife put it in both names, cannot find the tile but have a copy. I need to transfer the title to only her name, as per court decree.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

Thanks for the additional information.

This will not be a problem, though it will involve a trip to the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, if you want things done quickly.

First of all, you and your ex need to complete this form to apply for a Duplicate Certificate of Ownership:

Take the completed form, along with a current or expired proof of registration, or a proof of insurance on the vehicle, along with a check or money order---or cash---for $60 to the local MVC.

The MVC will process the application and issue you a duplicate title in a couple of weeks. At that time you can transfer the title to your ex the same as you would in any other transfer or sale.

Id time is not of the essence, then you can avoid the trip to the local MVC and you can mail the application and other items in to the address on the form but that will slow up the process.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers. I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,