TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

RA - RDE

Customer Question

Iwas driving home from work. Noticed police cars approaching behind me so i pulled over. As i pulled over, 6 police cars surrounded my car guns drawn and shot gun pointed at me. I was ordered to throw my keys away from m vehile. I was ordered to get out of my car and to walk backwards towards them while their guns ponted at me. I asked what did i do? the respons was a silver pt cruiser was identified leaving a crime scene. I told the officer my pt cruiser is not silver it's brown. It did not matter. I told them my husband is in law enforcement & i told them he was on yhe phone. Again it did not matter, the officer hang up my phone.

A few minutes later i was told they just caughtthe shooter they have the wrong car.

Do i have the right to file a complaint?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear of your traumatic experience. It would certainly be upsetting. And you do have the right to complain. You can file a complaint with the police department. However, from a legal perspective, it sounds like the police officers did not technically do anything wrong. A car matching (or at least partially matching) your car's description was apparently seen leaving the seen of a shooting, so the police pulled you over in good faith. Because of the possibility that you could have been a shooter, they took precautions such as drawing their weapons and having you step out of the car. While scary for you, it was not unlawful for the police, as they had a reasonable suspicion that you may have been a shooter. I wish that I had better news for you.

I regret that my answer is generally unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!