Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

RA gd

Customer Question

I had to take my ex-boyfriend to civil court. I was granted judgment due to his failure to show. Would legal aid be able to assist me in collecting the money from him? I have a part-time job at minimum wage and I can't afford an attorney at a law firm.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

What is the judgment for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The amount granted to me was $2855.00. I made the stupid mistake of bailing him out of jail after he hit me on his promise that he would go back to rehab. Not only did he not do that, he also missed court dates and did not complete court ordered AA and angermanagement classes. Because he missed court, the bond was forfieted and the bond company is trying to sue me and I in turn did the civil suit against him because all of this was his fault.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the legal aid would not help people in this type of collection matters, as they have extremely limited resources and only help people in family law matters and also elder law urgent matters.

You can also contact Florida Bar at www.floridabar.org and ask them for a list of attorneys who might be able to take your collection matter on the pro-bono (free) basis.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not live in Florida, I'm in Louisiana and the legal aid sit I look at said they handle civil matters. I had to take this to civil court to get the judgment and appear before a civil judge.
Thank you for your follow up.

I am sorry, I thought you were in Florida.

You can contact your nearest Louisiana legal aid, but unfortunately it is not likely that they will be able to handle collection case, but it would not be a bad idea to inquire anyway.

You can also contact Louisiana State Bar at: www.lsba.org and they will be able to provide you with a list of pro bono attorneys.

Do you have any related follow up questions or do you need for me to further explain my answer to you?