JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Does Florida have a law against dogs being in a food establishment

Does Florida have a law against dogs being in a food establishment ?
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

Businesses can prohibit pets from being in such establishments. However, service animals which assist a disabled person is not a pet. Service animals must be allowed.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was already aware of service dogs being allowed in restaurants and work places.

My question was does Florida Law allow dogs in eating establishments (meaning dogs in general, not service dogs. If there is such a law, what is it ?

Thanks,

Florida Statute 509.233(4)(a) does allow for outdoor pet dining. You can read the law here: http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/509.233

The law does not allow for indoor pet dining.

I hope this helps to clarify things.