How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55142
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned a friend a sum of money over a year. I have a promissory

Resolved Question:

I loaned a friend a sum of money over a year. I have a promissory note signed by him that states he owes me $10,000. I also have an amortization schedule that he prepared. Now he wants to pay in full, but he thinks I did not give him $1500 of the $10,000. He is an attorney and says "Just because the note says that does not mean you have to pay that. Faiure of consideration and unjust enrichment."

Do I have to prove that I withdrew money from my account in the amount of 10,000 in order for him to pay the entire amount back? Or does he have to prove that I only gave him 8,500?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. The note itself is a negotiable instrument...thus you need not prove the debt at all...the note speaks for itself. All you have to do is prove he did not pay you back as set forth in the note. You have no obligation to prove you loaned the $10,000 ... the promissory note is all you need.


I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you give me exact statute to quote in this instance. His statement to me that "Just because the note says that does not mean you have to pay that. Failure of consideration and unjust enrichment."


If he pays me back what he thinks he owes, what would my recourse be? Small claims court? And if I accept a bulk payment from him that is short of the total amount, does that imply that I am in agreement that he has saitisfied the loan?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
This is all governed by Article 3 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Any claim $10,000 or less can be brought in Texas small claims court. No, he cannot unilaterally impose a settlement upon you.
Richard and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you