Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

First issue, My six year old was being for a long period of

First issue, My six year old was being for a long period of time without my knowledge. However, when I brought this to the attention of the Principle, upon further investiagation, the Principle stated several individuals were aware, but no one did anything, nor did they inform me as the parent. If my six year old son would have never brought this to my attention the bullying wouuld have continued. What can I do, if anything? Secondly, My other son was verbally abused and called a few very derogatory words than kicked. My son brought this to the attention of a teacher, which in turn told me, however, the teacher telling me what happened processed to stated that, she didn't believe the young man verbally abused my son without any further investigation, in addition to, telling me my son may just view himself as these derogatory words. Upon bringing this to the Principle's attention,she expressed that the young man got a consequence for kicking my son, however, the consequence for the usage of the words processed to be just some in school therapy. Is that enough? My son has been deeply wounded. What more can I do in both situations?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am an Attorney and would be glad to help

I am sorry to hear your sons were subjected to ill treatment by other students,

1. With regard to your 6-year old being bullied, since you took a firm stand and demanded that the bullying stop and, has in fact, stopped, you accomplished your goal in bbringing the bullying to a stop. If I were in your position, the only things that I would demand at this stage, would be to 1) ask the principal to have the student apologize to my son; 2) ask the principal to make sure that this student received counseling so that it would not continue in his later years, and 3) Call his parents in for a conference to find out what is going on at home to have him act out like this against a 6-year old.

As a mother, I know how I raise my children, but I have no idea how other parents raise their children, nor do I know what the bully's home life is like. Young children do not become bullies all by themselves, they have a role model athome which they follow which is not always a good role model. I would have no way of knowing if the other student is subject to physical, or emotional abuse at home which is the usual case. therefore, the principal should see the necessity of meeting with the other student's parents to find out what really is going on in his house and behind closed doors.

2. You do not say how old your second son is, or how old the student is who kicked your son. You should ask the principal to have this student apologize to your son, continue with the counseling the principal told you about, and possibly write an essay why it is wrong to call other students names and go around kicking them, Having to write a 2 or 3 page essay on why his actions were wrong will make the student stop and think about his actions. You should ask the principal to call in the parents of this student also to find out what is going on at home. Any puncishment meted out should take into account the whole picture and where this student falls into the scheme of things. The principal will have a better idea of whether or not further punishment is necessary. Imposing a punishment that does not take into account the reasons behind the student's actions, the student's home life, and the student's age.

Please do not get me wrong because I am not saying that these students should not answer for their actions; What I am saying, however, is if they are not made to understand the very nature of their wrongs, and find out why they do the things they do, they will simply continue to bully and beat up on other students when teachers, the principal, or other people in authority, are not around.

If you have suggestions for additional appropriate punishment, you should voice these at the time that you meet with the principal.

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are appreciated

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
o.k. I can agree to some of what your saying, however, this question is regarding the six year old... if several adults knew about this on going bullying, why wasn't I immediately notified? I received this information from the Principle.... that several others were aware of the situation, but no one stopped it or informed me! My six year old had to tell me, and that's only because he had a very big knot on his head and when I questioned him regarding the knot he said, a girl took his head and another kids head and bang them together. I asked if he told a teacher he said he did and she just told him to go to the nurse. What consequence is in place for both the nurse, and teacher being well aware and not reporting it further or trying to find the child that did it? They knew and did nothing. Yes, it stopped now due to my big mouth, however, my son is scared to go back to school and these adults that I trust my pride and joy ( my son) with doesn't seem to care. I can't do anything concerning them having knowledge of the situation and not doing anything about it? I was educating myself on their school's policy and it clearly states, if a faculty member with holds any information concerning bullying, or condones it, the consequence was termination!!!, However, these faculty memeber's still work there, in addition, the bullying policy states that the bully is suppose to receive remediation/therapy, and suspension, but this child is still freely walking around the school. NO suspension and NO termination. There's nothing else I can do?
As one of the Experts, I assist customers, like you, for a living, it is not a hobby or a pastime. I furnish information to you in good faith and hope that you will respect the honor system in the Terms of Service and press the "Accept" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you, and a small portion of the deposit you made with JustAnswer. Unless the customer presses the "Accept" button, I do not receive any credit, or payment for my time and effort. I hope you can understand my position.

If you have a copy of the handbook which sets forth the policy which the school must follow in varous instances, and such policy was not followed, then you can demand that the principal apply the rules governing that specific situation as such policy is stated in the handbook.

You stated,

"What consequence is in place for both the nurse, and teacher being well aware and not reporting it further or trying to find the child that did it?"

You also stated,

"I was educating myself on their school's policy and it clearly states, if a faculty member with holds any information concerning bullying, or condones it, the consequence was termination!!!,"

Since the faculty members are still employed there, you should raise this issue during your meeting with the principal and ask why the school policy is not applied and why are these teachers still employed there ? As for the bully, since the policy states,

"remediation/therapy, and suspension, but this child is still freely walking around the school. NO suspension and NO termination."

Ask the principal what action or actions have been taken against them. If he aswers that nothing has been done, then ask why not, and how will the problem be permanently solved without imposing any penalties.