Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can a car bearing a handicapped placard be towed without notice

Can a car bearing a handicapped placard be towed without notice from a private property lot
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

Why was the vehicle towed, please?

Customer:

It was parked in front of a closed place of business with a handicapped placard in full view. The owner of the business informed me the next day that she didn't authorize towing from her lot.

Customer:

Is someone going to answer me? If so, when?

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

I was waiting for notification of your information

Sam :

You still with me?

Customer:

I'm still with you and I answered your question of why the car was towed...Got no answer from you.

Sam :

Did the tow say who called or why they towed you?

Sam :

If it is a private lot and the owner did not call for the tow, then no you should not have been towed

Customer:

The tow didn't divulge any information. I've been told that the scam of towing cars illegally lies with the towing companies.

Sam :

Yes. It has run rampant before.

Sam :

If you suspect that, I suggest you will want to report it to the Attorney General's office.

Sam :

The police won't help.

Sam :

But if you contact the AG's office they can look into it.

Customer:

Don't know if you saw my response, but the owner of the store I parked in front of, told me she hadn't authorized any towing..but she's not the owner of the property.

Sam :

Yes.

Sam :

And that is why I said, if you suspect that the tow company acted without authorization then you need to report it

Sam :

So they can be charged for the fraud

Sam :

and to do that, I suggest you go to the Attorney General, because the police would not be of any help to you

Customer:

Do you know how to contact the Attorney Generals office?

Sam :

Yes

Sam :

I will get you the information

Customer:

Thanks

Sam :

Public Inquiry Unit(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Sam :

Tell them that you were illegally towed and you feel it is a scam to get money

Sam :

And that you need the AG to investigate this matter for you.

Customer:

I'll do that. Thanks for the information. I hope it helps me regain the $300 I was charged for the tow.

Sam :

Yes. It should

Sam :

The AG has been investigating these matters and a new report will help you get your money

Customer:

Anything more you think I should know about pursuing this?

Sam :

That would be the way to go. Because you need to prove that no one authorized the tow

Sam :

from a private lot

Customer:

The store owner said she would testify in my behalf if it came to that Would that help?

Sam :

The only way to prove it is with an investigation. The police won't do it for you.

Sam :

Yes. Sure.

Sam :

Give her name to the AG investigator

Customer:

I will. She told me it was the 3rd time this month that this has happened.

Customer:

One more question. do you know if I would be protected from towing merely because I had a handicapped placard?

Sam :

Not that I am aware of

Sam :

But it may be something in a local ordiance

Sam :

You could check your City Hall for the Local laws of your town/county

Customer:

I already did and they were clueless. Can I get a copy of our chat?

Sam :

Well, you can request a copy of all the local laws. I cannot find those online

Sam :

But the Town/City/County officials have them in a booklet form for residents

Sam :

Once you accept this chat, it will convert to a Q&A formatt and you can print from there.

Customer:

Thank you. You've been helpful. Do I sign off now?

Sam :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.