lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

Can a 20 year old garnishment be taken from my boyfriends

Customer Question

Can a 20 year old garnishment be taken from my boyfriend's savings when my name is XXXXX XXXXX is not my money. It is on there in case he has a bill that needs to be paid if he is out of town. He is also married to another lady in a different state.
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If it is a joint account then the answer is yes it can since the money is also considered to be yours in a joint account. That he is still married really has nothing to do with it. You can be placed on an account with permission to sign and it not be a joint account. If you handle it that way then the account cannot be garnished for your debt. In addition if the judgment is over 20 years old it may now be expired.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can this be done now that a hold has been put on his savings account? It really is HIS money.
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Not now. Sorry.