J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

I am in the process of writing a press release announcing the

I am in the process of writing a press release announcing the formation of a new organization. We have recently merged with another existing organization (both in the realm of exotic bird rescue and rehoming) and we're currently mired in the application process for 501(c)(3) status.

In reviewing the draft, I was told that we are not allowed to mention the 501(c)(3) application in the press release. I find this a little odd. Is there any reason why we can't mention that we are seeking charitable certification? This is a very important part of why the new organization was created in the first place and I don't understand why it would be a secret. Were we to say we were a 501(c)(3) when we're not, I'd understand the problem, but in this case, we're just disclosing that at some point we'll be able to accept donations and that they'll be tax deductible.

Just looking for a learned answer to this question before I go any further with this draft press release.

Thanks.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

There is no legal prohibition under IRS regulations or federal law that would prevent you from disclosing the fact that you have submitted an application for charitable status and hope to have a provisional answer soon.

J.Hazelbaker :

It should be phrased as "we hope we will be able to..." in order to avoid any indication that charitable status is not in doubt.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.