J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

In Nebraska is compensation for a court judgement for property

In Nebraska is compensation for a court judgement for property you paid for but did not receive Taxable. The total compensation received is around 10% of the actual loss?

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

No. property damage award is not taxable unless you realize a gain (receive more in the judgment than the value of the loss).

J.Hazelbaker :

Based on your description of 10% recovered value, you would not report as income.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.