J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

I had an argument with my boyfriend. It was loud and glass

I had an argument with my boyfriend. It was loud and glass was broken. The neighbors called the police. The police were over zeolous and arressted my boyfriend even though the fight never evolved to a physical nature. His charges were dissmissed. We had consumed alcohol prior to the fight and my son wittnessed the fight. Due to this the police called dyfs and dyfs removed my son and placed him with my aunt. At my Order to show cause hearing the judge returned my son to me. He said there was not cause to remove him but ordered that dyfs remain in the situation. He also barred my boyfriend from my house and contact with my son. I have been doing all the "counseling and services" that dyfs has mandated. My boyfriend and I have diligently stayed away from each other and not had contact. I keep in touch by talking to his mom once a week. My lawyer feels the case will either be dissmissed or closed at the fact finding hearing. My boyfriend and i still wish to have a relationship in the future. can the judge permantly bar my boyfriend from contact at the next hearing even if it is closed or dissmissed?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

No. The court cannot issue a permanent restraining order against your boyfriend unless there are sufficient, prove facts to determine that there are grounds to do so.

J.Hazelbaker :

Based on your description of events, no such grounds exists and the court would be without power to issue such an order.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.