J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

My daughters were sexually abused by their father while minors.

My daughters were sexually abused by their father while minors. What is the stutue of limitation of bringing legal action now that they are adults and dealing with the emotional outcome and ongoing mental abuse

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Under Minnesota law, the statute of limitations for familial sexual abuse is 9 years. That can be extended by three years to age 21, where the abuse occurred under the age of 9.

Customer:

She was 14 thru age 18 and my younger daughter was 14 thru age 18. They are now 23 and 24.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

J.Hazelbaker :

They would both be within the 9 year statute of limitations and could make a criminal complaint against him.

Customer:

What types of abuse can be proven and how does the law treat the victim of this abuse. Is it a better case because there are more than one child involved and they can be a witness to each other?

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes. Having the testimony of two victims makes each case far stronger. I assume there is no DNA evidence, so the victim testimony would be crucial. Their testimony is sufficient evidence to prove whatever abuse they assert.

J.Hazelbaker :

The law is very protective of victims in sex abuse cases, particularly where the abuse occurs while they are juveniles.

Customer:

Who do we talk to about this? Do we find our own lawyer or is this something the state pursues?

J.Hazelbaker :

The state would pursue it.

Customer:

Who do we contact?

J.Hazelbaker :

You would contact the local police department and act to speak with a detective regarding sexual abuse of a minor.

Customer:

Is this then brought back to the county in which it happened to press charges?

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes. The county where offense occurred would be a likely place that would have jurisdiction. However, the person could also be prosecuted where they now reside.

Customer:

Thank you for your help