J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

Im a landlord for Michigan property. I was wondering what

I'm a landlord for Michigan property. I was wondering what is the legal maximum amount I can charge for cleaning the property myself. I put in 12 hours and I also had someone helping that put in 12 hours. I had a cleaning crew do the initial clean-up and it was $400.00. With the damages my renter's are already past their security deposit.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Michigan courts have held that a clean fee in the range of $50 to $150 is reasonable.

J.Hazelbaker :

This would be a range for a normal wear-and-tear situation.

J.Hazelbaker :

It is the baseline that you would base a reasonable fee upon.

J.Hazelbaker :

In order to adjust it upward, you should document the condition of the apartment so that, should the matter be litigated, you have substantial support for exceeding this amount.

J.Hazelbaker :

If you can show that you were thoughtful and reasonable in calculating your fee, and you have good documentation, the court will uphold it.

Customer:

Ok, even if they didn't even clean anything and it was really bad? I already paid $400.00 to another cleaning company. Can't I bill for the hours that I have put in? It is a house and I have pictures etc.

J.Hazelbaker :

Certainly. The $50-$150 is the baseline. It boils down to $10-$30 per hour. If you have an invoice from a cleaning company and photos to show the condition, as well as a potential witness (in the person that helped you clean), then you could certainly

J.Hazelbaker :

charge what you paid the cleaner, plus the time you and the other person put in at $10-$30 per hous.

J.Hazelbaker :

hour

Customer:

Great, thanks for the advice.