J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

For several years now, our neighbors have intentionally kept

For several years now, our neighbors have intentionally kept vehicles with loud or now mufflers. Once I complained to them about it. Their son now squeals his tires and punches his engine every time he goes by my house. I complained to the police on Friday March 16 about loud ATV's that belong to them with no mufflers riding on the street and yards. Yesterday as the son went by, I yelled a name at him. The neighbor came over and confronted me in my house. He then called the police and they came and told me not to call names because they had complained to them that I was harassing them. What rights do I have? Can they file a lawsuit against me? I truly am the one that is being harassed.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 2 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Unfortunately, I see situations like this a lot where the local police simply do not want to get involved.

J.Hazelbaker :

However, under Wisconsin law, you can file a civil claim against the neighbors for creating a "nuisance".

Customer:

What if they file one against me?

J.Hazelbaker :

In order to have the best chance of winning such a case, you need to have both audio/video recordings and decibel readings to show the level of noise that is being created. Noting the date, times, etc. of each unreasonable activity.

J.Hazelbaker :

They don't have a case against you.

J.Hazelbaker :

Calling someone a name is XXXXX XXXXX offense. Threatening them would be, but not a single occurrence of name calling.

J.Hazelbaker :

Until/unless you are able to gather sufficient evidence of the nuisance, you're going to have a tough time getting anyone to take action.

J.Hazelbaker :

But, as soon as you do have evidence, not only will you have a case, but you might be able to get the local police or local code enforcement officer involved.

Customer:

Thank you!

J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.