J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

Do I need a license or a permit to sell the book I have written

Do I need a license or a permit to sell the book I have written & if so what will it cost? I live in Iowa.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

If you plan to sell physical copies of your book out of a "brick and mortar" location, then you will likely need to obtain a vendor's permit from your local municipality.

J.Hazelbaker :

In addition, you would have to collect sales tax.

J.Hazelbaker :

However, if you are simply selling the rights to your book to a publisher, then you would not need a license to do so.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.