J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

Have received harrassing calls to my place of employment and

Have received harrassing calls to my place of employment and ex-inlaws from Nationwide Process Services threatening me with arrest warrents for not responding to provide a physical address to be served.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you can demand that they not contact you at work and they must honor that request.

J.Hazelbaker :

If they refuse, then they have violated the FDCPA. You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission:

J.Hazelbaker :

www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

J.Hazelbaker :

In addition, the threats of arrest are also violations of the FDCPA. I would file a complaint regarding that conduct.

J.Hazelbaker :

In the alternative, you can also file suit under the FDCPA for both the harassment and arrest threats. The FDCPA provides for a $1,000 civil penalty to you for each violation (each phone call and each threat).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Regarding the calls to ex-in-laws that I used as references am I allowed to ask them to cease and deasist with those same threats to them as well?

Yes. They must honor your request that they not contact anyone other than you about the account.

Please let me know, if you have additional follow-up questions.