J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

I live in the State of New Hampshire. Approx. 5 years ago,

I live in the State of New Hampshire. Approx. 5 years ago, we took in a cow for a family moving to Guam. We were looking for a milker and they needed a home for Chamilla (the cow).

Our verbal agreement was if they did not return for Chamilla within 3 years, she would become our cow. During that time her vet bills would be taken care of as the former owner was also a vet at our local vet clinic. This was not honored by the former owner.

Today we received a phone call that they were returning to the states and would like their cow back.

I reminded him of our agreement and that this is now her home.

What does the outcome present?

Thank you for your time.

Regina Burtt
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am waiting for an answer.

Thank you.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Your original agreement with the prior owner is an enforceable contract under New Hampshire law. If they were to sue you for return of the cow, they would lose based on the springing of the condition of the transfer (return within 3 years)

In addition, you would have claims against them for promisorry estoppel to prevent them from claiming ownership of the cow.

You could agree to return it, but could likewise require that they reimburse your costs for the care of the animal.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.