J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

I am starting a teacher prep program and getting my Masters

I am starting a teacher prep program and getting my Masters of teaching but was convicted of first time simple DUI in VA last year, by the time I graduate and apply for certification almost 5 years will have lapsed between the conviction. Do you think this will inhibit me from gaining certification? I have looked over the Dept of Education's application for licensure and it only askes for crimes involving children and drugs. Is DUI considered a drug related crime? Thank you.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

A dui is not considered a drug crime.

And you are not disqualified for Virginia DOE licensure due to a previous DUI conviction.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.