MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

can a person voluntarily request a polygraph test to prove

Customer Question

can a person voluntarily request a polygraph test to prove their innocence?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. What type of case is pending?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no legal proceedings yet. This is just a matter of proving that I did not commit this crime. I want to assure my employer that I am not involved in any way so that he can look somewhere else for the offender. I'm just trying to help him out.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
To whom would you would be making this request? It cannot be made to the court as there are no legal proceedings in place and therefore the court has no standing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer makes no sense? First, what has the court to do with this? There are no legal proceedings! Second, your sentence doesn't make any sense. It isn't even a proper sentence. "To whom would you would be making this request?"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The answer given makes no sense. It isn't even a proper sentence. And I already told you this isn't in the court system.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
I will try to be more clear. But just so that you know, "To whom would you be making this request?" is actually proper English, though I understand that sometimes even the most exacting language is not understood depending on the audience.

In any event, I was referencing your initial post "can a person voluntarily request a polygraph test to prove their innocence?" In your question you never identified who you plan on asking. I assume it is the court as that is the only body of government that can effectively order participation in such a test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, let's try this one last time. There isn't any court involved in this transaction. Not yet anyway. I want to voluntarily take a polygraph test. On my own. When I am either proven innocent, or guilty, I will also voluntarily give the results to my employer. As I already know I didn't do anything wrong I think I'll prove my innocence. Then my employer can focus on someone else. I want to prove I didn't do anything wrong and that someone else committed this crime. There's about $ 25,000 involved. So this is very important to me, and to my employer as well.

Any more questions now?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can voluntarily request a polygraph test to prove your innocence.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wasn't too difficult was it? Is there anything else, legal, I need to know regarding taking this test. IE: can i just call a polygraph company and ask them to set this up for me. Or, do I need some type of legal authorization/document/etc.?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can just call a polygraph company and arrange for the test. It is private matter, there is no need to seek any legal authorization or document, and I now understand the reason for the confusion, I apologize, I did not initially understand the nature of your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK... I guess communication is becoming a major problem these days. Have a good day and thank you for your answer.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, have a good evening.