LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a client who has adopted two special needs children

I have a client who has adopted two special needs children and wants take the max adoption credit when they have only paid out expenses of $1890 and all other expenses were paid by the agency. I say they can take up to amount paid by them and they want the credit allowed which is more than 2010. I have looked at the adoption publication and would like some other take on this.
Lucille Schultz
L and R Acct
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your confusion.

My understanding is that parents who adopt special needs children are not limited in their adoption credit based on the amount of money they actually expended, but may claim the maximum credit. Here is a link which discusses this issue:

http://taxes.about.com/od/deductionscredits/qt/adoptioncredit.htm

Beginning in 2013, the credit will drop to $6,000 for special needs children---but for now, the full credit is $13,170.00.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug