LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney

My question is that we are self-employed. When you hire someone,

My question is that we are self-employed. When you hire someone, how do you go about doing a background check on a potenetial employee? Or can anyone just do a background check on an individual?

Kristy Haines
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 4 years ago.

You should get written consent from the person authorizing them to conduct a criminal background check. Many state agencies require this - before you obtain consent, you can try contacting your local police department to see if there is a consent form that they require. They may also be able to point you to the correct agency to actually get your background check performed. But provided you have consent, there should be no issues with you getting the check done.

Here is an example of a form:

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!

I love working with the same customers, as this provides a better experience for you. You can now go DIRECTLY TO MY WEBSITE, WWW.LAWBEAGLE.COM, and enter your questions directly into the Just Answer boxes there. Don't forget to book mark it. If you prefer to enter your questions on the just answer site, but would like to request me, simply put "FOR LawBeagle" at the beginning of your future questions.

DISCLAIMER Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. FURTHERMORE, by clicking Accept or viewing my response, you agree that this response WILL NOT be used to obtain credit at any institute of learning and is for background or research purposes only. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed. By viewing my response, and/or clicking the "Accept" button, you are agreeing to these terms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So my daughter just applied for a job and they r doing a background check on her. How did they about this?
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 4 years ago.

It is likely that they are going through a police agency or a private agency to get it. In all likelihood, there was a part of the application packet that included consent to get a criminal background check. Often times it can be easy to overlook.