JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

I was driving a car with no insurance and a registration decal

I was driving a car with no insurance and a registration decal that does not belong on the car. The car was sold to my boyfriend with no title so he can not show proof of ownership. can i get that car insured if we dont have the title? will i go to jail for using the decal from my car on his car?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of this experience. Your question raises several different issues:

1. The car cannot be insured without the title/proof of ownership.

2. It is a crime to use a registration decal from a different car and, yes, you can go to jail over it.

3. If the seller will not hand over the title (a) sue them for a refund of the money, and (b) file a police report against them for fraud. I am willing to bet they don't have a title and/or the auto was stolen.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.