Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I did a contract work for this lady, completed the job got

I did a contract work for this lady, completed the job got paid. she ask me for a painter and carpet installer, they both gave prices to do the work, she puts a down payment the job is completed, she now accuses me of breaking four windows and is saying she will deduct from the painter and carpet installer for the windows that she doesn't know who broke but blames me for.
Is this legal for her to do?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If I may ask, what state did this take place in? Also, are you licensed? Did they work through you as you were a main contractor and they were sub-contractors, or were they all separate contracts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is happening in Hawaii. They worked from my contact with the owner and never met the owner. my contract with the owner had already been satisfied if when she makes full and final payment it means she is accepting my work and agrees to pay me in full, which she already did in mid November. after that she calls me to meet me at the job site and ask me to get a price from my painter associate and carpet installer. she knew the price was their price to her, not from me.
Thank you for your follow-up.

If you were the main contracting party the client is essentially correct--by hiring them, you retained ultimate responsibility in ensuring that the work would be completed correctly, the property not damaged or vandalized, and that you would be ultimately liable for any issues, something that you would then have to pursue against these subcontractors. Since you hired them for her, you remain in the picture because she did not hire them outside but solely based on your specification.

Good luck.