Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I had a masonry man come do work on my home. He was paid in

I had a masonry man come do work on my home. He was paid in full, but now the company that he got the material from he had never paid them for it and now that company has a lean on my home. What are my rights??
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am terribly sorry to hear that took place. Did you contact the other company over this situation? When was the lien put on the property? For what amount?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have tried to contact the masonry man but he will not return phone calls. The lien was placed last week for the amount of 10,000.00

Thank you for your follow-up.

You have a few options. Ultimately the best option would be find the past person and file against them directly for breach of contract, and demand that he reimburse the other company so as to remove the lien. The other option would be for you to pay that company (yes, in essence pay twice) so as to release the lien, and then sue the other person for the debt that you obtained plus your court costs and attorney fees. The amount is large enough that this would require you to obtain counsel should you choose to pursue the masonry contractor, and your attorney would be able to seek his attorney fees directly from him if you prevail.

Good luck.