Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

i loaned my girlfriend 3000.00 dollars for her daughters wedding

Customer Question

i loaned my girlfriend 3000.00 dollars for her daughters wedding in october told it would be paid back on12 23 11 . i do not have a contract but i do have checks for the wedding hall and a nother check made out to her , with emails tellinl me it would be paid in full. that never happend . can i take her to small claims court
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

Personal loans for less than $5,000 can be enforced in small claims court. While a written contract is optimal, an oral agreement without a written contract can still be enforced. Any evidence of the agreement can potentially be useful. That could include checks, emails, voicemails, text messages, witness testimony, etc.
If an individual has to file a lawsuit to enforce an agreement and if that person wins, the court may also award that person his/her reasonable attorney's fees and court costs as well so that the person doesn't wind up having to pay for those things out of pocket either.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will

i be able to collect any filing fees and cost since i do have doctuments

A court has the authority to award court costs and filing fees, as well as attorney's fees, to the successful party.