BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

What is the best way to contact the IRS about paying unpaid

What is the best way to contact the IRS about paying unpaid taxes for the last 3 years. Is there a way to settle this amount for less since I have experience a cut in my income of 22% and I have been paying on credit card debt and I am almost done with this. Is there a way to set up payments for this settlement like did with my credit cards?
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 4 years ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. Taxes owed that are older than 3 years can be discharged through bankruptcy. However, if bankruptcy is not an option, then you can call the IRS and work out a payment schedule. They can work with you, however, you will need to work with the one person with your file. They are allowed to take payments so long as you are paying their payment schedule.

Customer:

I have seen ads on TV about getting your debt lower as much as 75% is this real?

BizAttorney :

Yes, it is negotiating and completely depends on the facts, but the IRS is allowed to take less than what you owe.

BizAttorney :

I would be wary about paying anyone money to do this, unless it is contingent on receiving a lower tax amount.

Customer:

I had a company help with my credit card debt, is there someone I could contact to help me with this one?

BizAttorney :

Yes, read this article first and see if you want to try it by yourself:

BizAttorney :

http://taxes.about.com/od/taxdebts/a/tax_debt.htm

BizAttorney :

Then if you chose to use a company just do a search for companies in your area that will help reduce your IRS debt

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have to check this out, how would be the best way to continue my question if I have them later?

BizAttorney :

Just come back to the forum and ask. If I'm available, then I can help or another expert. Please also accept so that I can continue to help others in the future. Have a good night!