BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I am a defendant in a $3000 small claims case where the plaintiff

I am a defendant in a $3000 small claims case where the plaintiff was awarded 1600.

I appealed and have a court date I tried to postpone but was denied and I cannot get to the court on the date set. I have no money.

any suggestions?
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 4 years ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. Call the court clerk and try and postpone the hearing.

BizAttorney :

Sometimes judges get set in their ways, so if the judge will not postpone it, then you have to have someone change it or hire an attorney to attend for you.

BizAttorney :

If the judge holds the hearing without you after you have requested it be postponed for good cause, then you can file a motion for reconsideration, and stress that the court should decide a case on its merits and not be restrained because of the procedure.

Customer:

I cannot attend and have no money for an attorney so I have to bite the bullet and..... then you can file a motion for reconsideration, and stress that the court should decide a case on its merits and not be restrained because of the procedure.

BizAttorney :

Still try calling the court clerk and changing it there. Yes, if you have to miss it, you can file the motion afterwards.

Customer:

OK thanks