Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

Is there any way to get out of a no insurance ticket?

Customer Question

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

1. In what state do you reside?

2. How did you get the ticket?

3. Do you have some defense to the charge?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I reside in Texas, city of Jersey Village. I was towing a trailer and backed up and broke the tail light, 20 minutes later I was stopped. I have had the same insurance for about 8 years, but it lapsed about 1 month prior. Really just want to settle this without it adversely affecting my driving record. I wanted to just pay it, but I was told that then I would have to pay the state a penalty every year for five years. How do I proceed?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

From a purely legal standpoint, you have no issues here. However....

You might consider setting the citation for a hearing. Your first hope would be that the officer does not show up. If he fails to appear in court to provide testimony to substantiate the charge, it would be dismissed with no penalties.

Another option would be to speak with the citing officer. Assuming you have little to no previous record and proof of insurance from shortly before the incident and shortly after the incident, the officer may very well agree to dismissing the citation.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.