Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

I bought what I thought was a brand new Rolex watch on 9/10/10

I bought what I thought was a brand new Rolex watch on 9/10/10 for $7,500. I have the receipt that was given to me by the guy who sold it to me in 2010. Today, I sold the watch for $5,500 cash. The guy who bought it took the watch to a Rolex dealer, and he him the watch was fake. Now, the guy I sold the watch to is threatening to call the police on me. I didn't do anything wrong. I don't have a police record. I acted in good faith. Ehat do I do? Thank you!
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

While it is hugely speculative on my part, my guess is that nothing will come of any potential criminal investigation. I say this as it appears that you were an unwitting party as to the counterfeit nature of the item.

In fact, you might consider calling the police yourself. You could report the fact that you unknowingly purchased counterfeit merchandise and then, more than a year later, sold that same items to another person.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why do you think nothing will come of it?

Also, the guy bought the watch from me 100 miles from where I live. If he were to call the police, who would he call? Would it be the police in the city he bought the watch or the police in the city that I live which is 100 miles away? Will I be arrested?

Last, I believed the watch was real. I have a receipt saying the watch was real too. Doesn't the buyer have some responsibility in this as well?

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

As I stated above, I suspect nothing will come of this as you had no knowledge of the counterfeit nature of the item. For law enforcement to make an arrest, they would want some evidence that you knowingly sold a counterfeit item. As no such evidence exists, my guess is nothing will come of it.

If he were to call the police, he would likely do so in the area in which the transaction occurred.

Doesn't WHAT buyer have responsibility? You or the person that bought it from you? Either way, and as a general rule, the buyer does not have the responsibility to ensure that the item is counterfeit, rather the seller has an obligation to not hold out an item as something it is not.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law