How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is: Is it possible to sue your 18 year old son

Resolved Question:

My question is: Is it possible to sue your 18 year old son for money paid in vet bills, for his two cats, when these vet bill occured when he was 17 years old? My son made a verbal agreement at the age of 17 years old with me (mom) to pay for his cats vet bills and at the time he was going to school and working part-time at a grocery store. My son up and quit his job and has refused to get a job since. I have asked him for small payments every month, once he has gotten a job, but he still refuses to work part-time. He is still currently in High school but is still capable of working part-time and making these small payments to me to get a 868 dollars in vet bills down. One of these bills, has occured at the age of 18 for his cat.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

For any agreement that he made with you to borrow money after the age of 18 you can sue him over. You can also sue over any agreement that you had when he was under 18 if he confirmed the agreement after he turned 18.

The suit would likely be in small claims court in your area.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just want to be clear on what your saying. Your saying that if my son made the agreement at 17 to pay for his cats and still has to take care of his cats on that agreement now that he is 18, I am able to sue my son in small claims court for the money owed on the cat vet bills from his age of 17 until now?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
You can sue only if he confirms his agreement to pay for those prior expenses. Not just if he acknowledges that he is responsible for the cats.

As an example if he says at 17 "I'll pay you back for the vet bill." He is not liable to pay you back because he cannot contract with you under 18.

However, if when he turns 18 he says "I remember agreeing to pay you for the vet bill when I was 17 and I am going to pay you back." That affirms the contract from when he was 17 now that he is an adult and that makes him liable for the contract now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so I cannot sue him for the vet bills at age of 17 because he was not of legal age to make a contract. Can I sue him for the vet bills at 18 for his two cats, with or without the vet bills being in his name?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.
You can sue for the vet bill incurred after 18 if he authorized you to take the cats to the vet and agreed to pay you back.
John Legal and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you