J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

i have been awarded a judgement against my previos employeer

i have been awarded a judgement against my previos employeer for past commision and wages.. how do I attach his bank account? and is this the best course of action to collect?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

As long as you can identify the bank and the legal name of the account holder, a bank levy is one of the most effective ways to collect a judgment.

To attach/levygarnish the account you go to the clerk of court's office where your case was heard and ask for a "writ of execution" form to levy a bank account. Make sure you take a copy of your judgment with you (though you can pay the clerk to make a copy from your file, if you don't have a copy). The clerk will have the forms and instructions you need as long as you have the information on the account and your judgment.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.