Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

I was just served with a Summons for a business loan I signed

Customer Question

I was just served with a Summons for a business loan I signed for my sister's company in 2006. My sister was injured, lost her ability to conduct business and the company went under. I am listed on the documents so I am noe being asked to pay. I have no way of paying off the 30,000 line of credit (it was an unsecured loan). What can I do and is there any way I can avoid going to court for this? The server did not hand me the summons directly, they were tossed into my garage which was open when they came by.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
You can defend on several grounds by filing an answer or moving to dismiss. You can do so on ground of improper service, waiver, and the statute of limitations. You may have a lawyer file it for you locally for which is a good reference, or seek the court clerk to assist with filing by notice of motion and affidavit or by general answer with defenses.