Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law
11688690

My dAUGHTER RENTS and there is a water leak under the building

Customer Question

My dAUGHTER RENTS and there is a water leak under the building on her water meter. She has informed the owner and the maintenance man several times with documentation since Seacoast informed her Feb 1, 2012. Now her bill is over $300.00 and additional fees will be added. What can she do to protect her credit if water gets disconnected?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
She leases her space - correct?

Who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the water line - she or the LL?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She rents the apt pays for the water usage. LL or maintenance is responsible for the building repairs yes. Leak is under ground.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
Then I would not pay another water bill and inform the LL that if he doesn't pay file suit on a monthly basis as to that current's month's water bill.

All she need do is take a copy of the lease AND whatever documentation she has about the water line leak. It's the LL's legal responsibility and duty to correct the problem and until they do they must pay the water bill.

Please ask for "Law Pro" if you have any further future questions!

Just Answer is a "PAY FOR SERVICE" Website. Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My daughter rents monthly no lease now has lived here for 10 yrs. New landlord last 2 yrs. Does no lease make a difference? She has all canceled cks for rent.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
Lease makes no difference. Too, the LL cannot retaliate against her for filing suit in the matter of the water leak - that's illegal. So they can't evict her for pursuing her legal claims.