Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My Mom was just admitted to a skilled nursing facility. As

My Mom was just admitted to a skilled nursing facility. As her daughter and POA, they want me to sign admission forms. When I signed for her at the assisted living facility, they told me by signing I wasn't financially responsible, but was just saying I would make sure that her check was sent. Now I found out that was a lie; by signing I was financially responsible for her bill. I don't want to make that mistake again. How do I go about signing her admission papers, but not making myself guarantee payment.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow ups and my replies because I am typing out my answer, or taking a quick break.

Actually, this is a half-truth. If you have a POA, then you can sign for her, assuming that this is was the Power of Attorney allows you to do. So if you sign your name, you may be liable. However, you may simply sign her name and put (with permission) next to it and attach a copy of the POA. This would have her liable, but not you, since you are acting solely as her agent. An agent does not take on the liability of whom they represent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated. You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-elyJD/