INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I was rear-ended by a commercial dump truck in NJ.I have had

I was rear-ended by a commercial dump truck in NJ.I have had multiple injections for herniated discs and surgery for labrum/rotator cuff repair. The complaint was served on Dec 3rd 2011 and with no answer from the defendant my lawyer told me he filed for default on jan 31st. I do not understand what this means and how long this process should take moving forward. Any information would give me some piece of mind. Thanks
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Good evening. If the defendant had answered, the court would have scheduled a conference. If defendant does not appear, you can win without opposition. The lawyer would have filed for the clerk of court to enter that default. The process can take a couple of months given backlog and processing by the court. Once the lawyer gets the judgment, he can pursue defendants assets such as bank accounts and wages.

If you have a follow up question, just click REPLY. I will be more than happy to address it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The defendent didn't answer the complaint. Shouldn't the insurance from the truck company respond?
Typically they should and they may well appear to contest the default, but until they do the lawyer is doing the right thing by proceeding to get the default!