Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE VIDEO/AUDIO SURVEILLANCE LAWS IN PA, AND

CAN THESE LAWS EXPIRE?
MShore, Attorney
replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. What exactly would you like to know? (I ask because the initial question was very vague)
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

"Pennsylvania has some of the toughest video surveillance laws in the United States. Even law enforcement agencies are prohibited from employing video surveillance in many situations without prior court approval. Along with limiting surveillance, Pennsylvania state law enforces harsh penalties for violating surveillance laws. For example, intercepting an oral communication by use of a video camera is classified as a third-degree felony punishable by substantial time in prison."

THE ABOVE WAS COPIED FROM YOUR WEBSITE.

MY HUSBAND DRIVES A TRUCK, RECENTLEY VIDEO/AUDIO CAMERAS WERE INSTALLED IN THE WORK TRUCKS. PEOPLE ARE GETTING FIRED OR SUSPENDED FOR VARIOUS THINGS SUCH AS NO SEATBELTS, SMOKING OR DRINKING (POP)/EATING WHILE DRIVING, ONE GUY EVEN RECIEVED 3 DAYS SUSPENSION FOR BLOWING HIS NOSE. THESE GUYS WORK 12 HOUR SHIFTS AND SHOULD HAVE A REASONABLE EXPACTATION TO PRIVACY. THIS IS A UNION JOB AND THE UNION HAS RECENTLY FILED SUIT AGAINST CO. FOR ACTIONS. WHEN I PRINTED THIS PAGE FOR MY HUSBAND THEY SAID THIS LAW HAS EXPIRED. CO STATES CAMERAS ARE FOR SAFTEY ISSUES AND FOR TRUCK MONITORING FOR DRIVER SAFETY AND FUEL USAGE.
MShore, Attorney replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is primarily an employment law issue, I will opt out in favor of an employment law expert.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
OK, AM I GOING TO HEAR BACK FROM SOMEONE, THEN
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
replied 4 years ago.
Any video surveillance on the employer's property is permissible under the law, since the employer has a right to protect their premises and the employee has no expectation to privacy in the workplace (except for bathrooms or changing areas). As far as audio monitoring, the employer can also make audio recordings with notice to the employees, which can be done by posting a notice in the workplace or in the employee handbook.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
THERE IS NO POSTING, THIS IS NOT IN THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK, AND IS NOT PART OF THE UNION CONTRACT..... BREECH OF CONTRACT???
DO THE LAWS EXPIRE THAT I COPIED AND PASTED?
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago.
No, the laws do not expire, they remain on the books. If they are audio recording without notice to employees, this is a crime and PA requires the consent of all parties to record audio. Video requires no consent in the workplace.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
WHAT IS THE LAW # OR STATURE OR REGULATION # TO THE AUDIO SURVEILLANCE LAW
PA Statutes 5701 et seq. prevents unauthorized interception of wire/oral communications.