xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

can a water company utility shut your water off without notice

can a water company utility shut your water off without notice or warning for payment that is less than 10 days overdo
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Do you have an outstanding balance for your water bill?

When you say that "you have done everything requested," what do you mean by that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was an outstanding balance for $188 which was 10 days late. We have 16 years with this utility and have never missed a payment. They requested payment asap and they would turn the water back on. I followed their instructions and the water cameon at 9am
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I am sorry for the delay.

It is NOT the utility company who does a water shut off. It is the city in which you live who shuts off your water for unpaid/overdue water bills.

Each water bill should indicate the date by which the amount due and owing must be paid. The water bill should also indicate if a bill is not paid by xxx date, there is a late fee. Also, it should indicate that if the bill is not paid (or arrangements are not made), then a water shut off will occur within xxx days. In your city, it sounds like after 10 days and the past and current water bill isn't paid, the water is shut off.

You should go to the city hall in the city in which you live and ask to see the ordinance and/or policy that has been approved by your city council/commission regarding the time for water shut off. It is not generally the utility who shuts off the water, but the Public Works Department in the city in which you live that does so. If you don't believe that 10 days is sufficient notice, then you should address the issue to your city council/commission, mayor and/or city manager.

I'm glad that you were able to have your water turned on. Certainly, in these tough economic times, it is difficult for everyone to keep up.

Good luck.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.