INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

How do i have a paid NY state tax judgement removed from my

How do i have a paid NY state tax judgement removed from my credit reports?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Was it placed on default or in error?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
default. i didnt pay about $2400 in taxes from that year and missed the deadline to send in before they passed a judgement against me.
You can seek to work out a settlement conditioned on it removed or at least marked settled and satisfied. That would be the best recourse. If the claim is wrong, you may pursue to vacate it by motion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i paid it on 1/1/2008 though
when was it reported?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
credit report says date filed is 10/23/07, date paid, 1/1/2008. estimated month this item will be removed 12/14. seems like an awful long time to be on my credit report. i have excellent income and credit otherwise but recently i tried to refinance and was denied because on this one judgement that admittedly was my fault but i just screwed up my filing and missed paying the balance before the judgement was ruled.(which i paid immediately)
If filed before paid, then it has to be marked now as paid and settled, but wont be removed.
If filed after paid, it has to be removed as improperly filed.
If creditor wont do it, you can demand it of the credit bureaus directly with proof of payment.

If you have a follow up question, just click REPLY. I will be more than happy to address it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the payment was received after it was filed and is marked as paid and settled. it is having a very negative impact on my credit 4 years later so i guess my orginal question is, is there anyway to appeal to NY State or credit bureaus to have this removed?
I am afraid not. It can only be marked settled/paid and await coming off credit within 7 years of filing. To have it come off, the creditor would have to ask it be taken off due to erroneous filing.