LawBeagle
LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney
56094747

Is there a statute of limitations on court costs and fines?

Customer Question

Is there a statute of limitations on court costs and fines? I was involved in a domestic case in which the charges were dropped. I paid the clerk what I was told to pay at the time, prior to leaving the district justice's office. Now 15 YEARS later, I received a notice of impending bench warrant against me for some additional costs that I was never made aware of. I don't know if somebody just got through their inbox or what, but am I still obligated to pay these costs after 15 years and this is the very first notice I have received or do I have a defense against paying these costs after so much time has passed?

Thank you.
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately there is no statute of limitations on court imposed fines, just as there are no statute of limitations on unpaid parking tickets. Your best bet at this point will probably be to contact the court clerk's office and explain your situation (go there in person if you can), provide any documentation you have, and ask that the court reduce or waive the fee, especially if you can show that you paid what they told you to pay at the time. Otherwise, they may also be willing to give you an extension.

I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you!

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!

I love working with the same customers, as this provides a better experience for you. If you would like to request me for another question, simply put "FOR Legal4Info" at the beginning of your future questions.

______________________________________________________________________
DISCLAIMER Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed. By viewing my response, and/or clicking the "Accept" button, you are agreeing to these terms.