Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

rr - vl

Customer Question

I bought a used car with 131,000 miles on it. this was a private party sell, my question is, is this an as-is sale. Thankyou.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

Yes and no. Lemon laws in AZ per Arizona Revised Statutes §§ 44-1261 to 1265 cover new vehicles only, and the manufacturer's warranty is voided if it is a used vehicle.

You may have a claim under the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose (Beauchamp v. Wilson, 515 P. 2d 41 - Ariz: Court of Appeals, 2nd Div. 1973) if the vehicle simply does not work. However, if the problems are minor, then the warranty does not apply ("you get what you paid for").

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people are morally wronged but have limited avenues to seek relief. Please understand that this is not the expert’s fault. I am sure that you prefer that I tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear. Please do not “shoot the messenger.” This medium of communication may not always effectively express emotion but do know that I understand that this may not be easy to hear and I empathize.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.