Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
11056146

I live in California. I was told years ago at the DMV if you

Customer Question

I live in California. I was told years ago at the DMV if you are going to a business and there are no handicapped spaces available, you may park at the NEAREST handicapped space, even if it is at a different business and on private property. Yesterday I did this and was towed. I cannot find this regulation anywhere. Am I mistaken?

Thank you so much for your help -
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There is no such law.

The law regarding handicapped spaces is a federal law. It requires a certain number of spaces based on the total number of spaces in a lot.

But there is no law that states you can park on private property and not patronize the owners of the property just because you have a handicap permit.

Sorry to have to bear bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are wrona and I dont believe you are a lawyer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is not a legal expert he looks like a lumberjack. I have been scammed -
I am a licensed attorney.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 2 years ago.
Hello sho85czh and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately for the situation you are in, there is no law in California which would permit you to park on someone else's private property simply because you have a handicapped parking permit. So, if the place you parked was restricted to parking for customers of a particular business, and you did not patronize that business, the owner was legally allowed to have your vehicle towed and you would not win a small claims case to recover the associated costs from that owner.

The answer provided by psimmons was correct and I am unclear on why you think he was wrong. Furthermore, not only is psimmons a licensed attorney, he is one of the best legal experts on JustAnswer and is very careful in providing legally correct answers to questions posted here. You have not been scammed and since you were provided with the legally correct answer to your question, I suggest that you accept psimmons answer.

Whoever at DMV told you, years ago, that you could do this, was wrong then and would be wrong now, as what you were told is not now and never was the law. By the way, I am licensed to practice law in California and have been doing so since 1976.