Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have worked as a carpenter and custom appliance installer

I have worked as a carpenter and custom appliance installer for a large appliance dealer for almost 20 yrs. Most of the time I did the jobs by myself, they didn't provide me a helper. These job's involved large appls. like SubZero refrig's, double walloven's, large S.S. ranges etc. Over the past 10 yrs. I have had 8 surgeries, 2 went thru work. compensation. All were the result of my job. Now I'm basically crippled and I have to work in the office. The fellow that does my job now has an assigned helper every day and sometimes 2 helpers. He also makes 50,000$ a yr. more than I ever made. DO I have a case against my employer??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, while this could have been a workers compensation claim, you would have needed to file your workers compensation reports when each injury has occurred. If you did file workers compensation claims, then under the law this is all an employee is entitled to and cannot sue the employer for any other damages beyond workers compensation. IF you have permanent injury from a workers compensation injury you are entitled to a permanent disability payment or lump sum payment and you need to get a local workers compensation attorney to represent you and you would need a permanent disability rating from your doctor on your workers compensation case to determine the amount of payment you would be entitled to.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”