Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have an incorrect judgement from small claims court in Salem, Ma. on my credit report.

I have an incorrect judgement from small claims court in Salem, Ma. on my credit report. what can I do to remove it? It's from Oct. 2007 and judgement was in my favor.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The judgment itself was entered in your favor but the credit report indicates that the ruling was against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I believe that is the case. I was sued twice by Thomas Nickleman in Salem district court. I live in N.Y. and couldn't travel to Mass. for the first suit, which was in the summer of 2007, so it was ruled in his favor by default. I think it was about $2,000 to repair & paint walls in a rental unit. I paid it. Then he sued again, I guess in or around Oct. of 2007 for rent because we vacated early, which he agreed to. That time, I hired a lawyer to represent me in court and I won the suit. I now have a notice on my credit report for $1563,from Oct. 07 which I think is the second suit. I'm applying for a loan and need to get this cleared up.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.

To have this incorrect information removed from your credit report, you would typically draft and send a dispute letter to each of the 3 major credit reporting agencies, attaching a copy of the judgment and any other documentation you have to indicate that the information on your report is incorrect.

Under federal law, they normally have 30 days to either obtain information revealing that the report is accurate or remove the report. If it is incorrect, then it must be removed within that period of time typically.

Here is a link that provides more information as well as a sample dispute letter for you to use:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre21.shtm

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.