P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Child support takes any title that i register. if someone has

Customer Question

Child support takes any title that i register. if someone has a lien on the title does child support still get the title or does the lien holder ... and if the lien holder has to get the item back do they have to pay child support any
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

A lien-holder is "first in line". That is what a lien is. It must be satisfied before title can transfer.

So if the state wants title, they have to pay the lien holder first...or they can simply auction the property and pay the lien-holder and pocket the remaining money.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so they can repossess the item even though there is a "first" lien holder?
You bet they can. A lien holder does not hold title...only the right to be paid prior to transfer of title.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so if the first lien holder takes the vehical back do they have to pay the second?
No...you have to pay the second.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so basicallyif the first lien holder takes the title they can remove the second from it ..

and have a clear title

No...they have to sell at auction and the proceeds go first to the first lienholder, then the second and so on...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am buying a motorcycle from a friend and if i title it in my name your saying he cant take it back cause of child support .. or he can but has to sell it??
I will opt out and allow another to assist you

Best of luck